Saturday 26 September 2009

The Colours of the Rainbow - GC1BZ4Y

This was to be the eighth and last cache of a very successful day whilst out with sarahjones65, RiggyRob and CathyMay on our quest to find all the caches on Anglesey before the end of 2009. However, it nearly didn't turn out that way - we'd just done Gruftymilo's earthcache here and thought this one would be a piece of cake, being only 82ft away. We searched high (literally, up a small ridge) and low as our GPSr kept changing it's mind about where GZ was - I even wondered if the magnetism of the rocks here was affecting the signal in some way.

After a good fifteen minutes of searching, re-reading the hint and using our 'cacher's eyes' we had still not found it and so the kids, who were pretty fed up by now, went back to the car. Sarah and I continued for another ten minutes and then gave up - had we got the coordinates wrong or had the cache gone missing? Back at the car we checked the coordinates with our PDA and read the logs for when it was last found. Everything was as it should be - so why had we not found it?

Thinking that we wouldn't be back this way again anytime soon, I decided to go and have another look on my own. I travelled light with only the GPSr and a pen and as soon as the proximity alarm went off on the GPSr I started looking. Guess what? This time I found it almost right away. This was a great relief as I really didn't want to end the day on a DNF. After signing the log and taking the geocoin (to prove to the others that I'd found it), I skipped happily back to the car in the evening sunshine having successfully completed eight caches today.

No comments:

Post a Comment