Saturday 20 August 2011

Pirate's Path - GC2V9YN

Today I finally got round to going geocaching by bike. I'd been thinking of cycling from Tyldesley to Lilford Park in Leigh along the footpaths and bridleways for ages and, with the prospect of a cache and perhaps a green woodpecker in Lilford Woods, today was the day I went for it.

It turned out to be a lot closer than I had realised and the footpaths were great for cycling, so very soon I was in the woods and looking for the cache. The tree cover didn't prove to be much of a problem as it it often is and soon I had the cache in hand.

Unfortunately I had forgotten to bring a pen with me (I usually have one in the car) and the pencil included in the cache container had not been sharpened on either end. After failing miserably in thinking of some way to leave my mark in the log, I just took a photograph of the box as evidence that I actually found it - I may return to sign the log on another day.

P.S. Shortly after leaving the cache location I met a lady walking her dog who engaged me in conversation for over 25 minutes (actually, she did most of the talking!) about all sort of stuff ranging from the history and geology of the area and the use of its plants in homeopathy to how unhappy she was with Wigan Council about their plans for this beautiful part of Leigh. She was a little eccentric, but very knowledgeable and I may put a fuller account here later.

No comments:

Post a Comment