Saturday 10 April 2010

No.13 - The Manchester, Bolton and Bury Canal - GC19AV3

After using an old copy of a cache list on my PDA and wasting my time looking for No. 14 in this series (which has obviously gone now), I headed up and along the canal for this one, only to find that in my grumpiness I had set off the wrong way. The hint mentioned that the cache was at the end of the canal, and I was heading to the wrong end at first. I actually think I was technically 'right' as the cache location isn't actually at the 'end' of the canal, it's just where the canal has become blocked by reeds and other rubbish. The line of the canal carries on to Bury even though it's no longer navigable everywhere.

Nevermind, it was a beautiful day and so the walk was very pleasant and, after changing direction, I soon came to a row of houses and other buildings on the canal bank. In the distance I could see where the canal had become blocked and there were some swans sitting on the vegetation that had filled it. As I walked past the last building I quickly found the cache, but there was no pen or pencil in it and so I couldn't sign the log today. Instead I took a picture of the cache to prove I'd been there and then went on to take some pictures of the swans, who had built a nest in the reed beds and rubbish!
I may return to sign the brand spanking new log that's been put there, just to get my name on first!

No comments:

Post a Comment