Friday 8 May 2009

LQ: Gtr Manchester - King of Swing - GC159WY

Barton Bridge has always been a landmark in my life - I used to cycle down here as a kid and watch the bridge open to let the boats go past. In those days of the late 60's and early 70's it was still quite a regular event. When my Dad took me in our new(ish) Ford Popular car to my Auntie's house in Urmston, we'd often be held up here whilst the road bridge was swung open.

I love the shape of the road bridge and used to think that this was the important bit. Of course it's the aqueduct on the other side that has it's place in world history. What an amazing invention and construction for the time - it's still working even now.

I had a good look round the famous bits and then went on to find the cache, which wasn't as close to the aqueduct as I thought it would be. It was getting quite dark by now and the cache location isn't in a place I'd want to stay long at night! Good clue.

P.S. Are we supposed to go down here? The gates at the end of the lane were locked when I came, but there was easy access from the side.

Check out this cache here: LQ: Gtr Manchester - King of Swing at www.geocaching.com

No comments:

Post a Comment