Sunday 22 February 2009

Duke's Drive


Second today with sarahjones65. We parked in Drywood Avenue and walked round to the lovely thatched cottage (currently for sale if you're interested) which marks the start of Duke's Drive. The path was fine at first and then became muddy with large potholes and puddles for a while (as noted by a previous cacher) - but we survived! Actually, one of my boots must be leaking because my foot got wet.

Once again I can't believe I've not been down here as a kid when I used to cycle to Worsley quite often from my home in Salford. The area opens out into fields and boggy areas with a private fishing pond in the middle, Worsley Golf course is on one side and the Bridgewater Canal on the other, I tried to photograph a large heron on the ground which suddenly took off as we approached.

Just before approaching GZ a few muggles were out walking their dogs and so we got the map out and pretended to be doing other things. We had a quick walk up a bank to the canal and I commented to Sarah on how shallow and clear the water was.
After the muggles had left, Sarah went to off to find the cache. Because I had found the last one,

I had to let her look for this one! She rummaged around in the undergrowth for a while but in the end it was me who suggested where it might be after I'd noticed some branches in a cache-hiding repose. And sure enough, there it was. Sarah got it out and logged it and we took a nice piece of rock and two postcards.

Then we decided to check where the next cache (Sleeping Station) was in relation to our current position. As it was close by we decided to go for it from here, which involved following the footpath across the boggy fields and a couple of small bridges, past the fishing pond, and towards the golf course and the disused railway line.

TFTC SL

No comments:

Post a Comment