Sunday 29 March 2009

Astley Green Colliery

This was a quick return visit as last time I came the museum was closed and so I couldn't fulfill the requirements of the cache. I found the answers quickly and then spent another fifteen minutes fascinated by the pictures and exhibits in the small mining museum.

Although I can just about remember Agecroft and Mosely Common Collieries when they were working, and I come from Salford and now live in Wigan, the world of mining and miners is completely foreign to me as no-one in my family has ever been involved in it.

It's good to see that this way of life is largely gone but not forgotten. Being a miner was a terrible job and few people would wish to do it today, but the sense of community spirit, teamwork and 'looking after your mates' must have been awesome at the time.

Great cache! E-mail and picture on its way.

Check out this cache here: Astley Green Colliery at http://www.geocaching.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment