Wednesday 25 March 2009

MootePower#1 - Flipping Cache


Oh bother! I was determined to be the FTF (first to find) this one after it being so long without a find logged. Thanks to some help AndroidAndy I'd solved the clue on Saturday but couldn't get down to the location until today (Wednesday). And now the previous poster at www.geocaching.com/ has beaten me to it. I repeat, oh bother (polite version)!

I can't say too much here without giving the answer to the puzzle - if you want to understand this gobbledegook you need to look at the cache description here. I'd been through many of the same permutations as the cachers before. I'd reversed the two numbers, subtracted them, converted them to two different co-ordinate systems and done 'the computer thing' with all of them to no avail. The answer turned out to be slightly easier (only a bit though) than all my ideas and eventually AndroidAndy cleared it up for me, without actually telling me the answer. I had also e-mailed Moote twice for some pointers but got no replies.

It's actually a really good puzzle, but perhaps a little too difficult for non-computer geeks. Once you have the co-ordinates, finding the cache is relatively easy - a clue isn't needed as everything you need is in the cache description.

The cache box is quite large and full of bric-a-brac. I took a lanyard and keyring, but left nothing because the contents were all wet. I signed the large log book which was a little damp but not too bad and put the cache box back in its hidey-hole upside down to keep it drained. It was quite well hidden and I replaced it as such.

The whole location area is very interesting and just a little further along from another cache which I'd done with sarahjones65 a few weeks earlier. Whilst I was there I ventured further into the woods and came across a house, an adventure playground in amongst the trees and a swampy lake. I'll be returning here for a family walk in the summer I'm sure.


Checkout this cache here: MootePower #1 - Flipping Cache at http://www.geocaching.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment