Sunday 22 March 2009

Howfen 1


After just having done the Hall Lee Bank Park cache at the entrance to this area, sarahjones65 and I took a very pleasant stroll down the winding paths in this 'park'.

This location is one of the reasons why I love geocaching - finding a hidden gem in a local place that I've never really noticed or explored before. I only wish it was on my doorstep.

It's not a 'park' in the traditional sense, no grass or playgrounds here - more a country park with a winding water course and steeply wooded banks of trees. I can imagine that it will be a wonderful place in the summer.

Not that all the area is picturesque - there's a lot of broken and damaged trees, fallen brickwork and some rubbish in places, but on the whole it's a great location.

I don't know, but I imagine this is some kind of drainage culvert that takes storm water, and this has caused some of the tree damage and has undercut many of the meander banks. This has caused some areas to cave in.

Whilst working our way to cache location, we discussed the idea of bringing a group of kids here to learn about geocaching. We could set up a few extra caches to find and the kids could set some themselves. The place is big and diverse enough to allow this in an interesting but reasonably safe environment. Yep - I think I'll be doing that sometime.

Anyway, we found the cache without much difficulty and after signing the log we took a 'Madagascar' penguin and left a large biro. Then we set off to the next location hoping it would be as good as this one.


Check out this cache here: Howfen 1 at www.geocaching.com

No comments:

Post a Comment