Monday 10 August 2009

Dune - GC1VHQD

This was my second find of the day whilst out on a solo mission on Anglesey. I parked in a familiar car park from which we've sometimes gone kayaking or had a beach day - it's a good spot because unlike Cable Bay a little further down the road, it's generally less busy, the parking is free and there are toilets. Then off into the dunes.

I soon spotted a likely place but delayed investigation due to the presence of a muggle. At first I thought it might be a fellow a geocacher but soon realised it wasn't when I saw her dog romping through the dunes. Whilst waiting for the muggle to move on I watched hundreds of starlings gathering on some overhead telephone cables nearby. Then, all of a sudden, they all took off in one coordinated mass. After flying around for a while they split into two groups and headed of inland to roost for the night. It was an amazing sight - they seemed to behave like one fluid-like entity with a common purpose. How do they do that?

The likely place turned out to be the wrong place - the rabbit hole here was so big and deep that even I of somewhat portly frame (fat b*st*rd) could have climbed down it and I'm no Alice in Wonderland. Any cache put in here would have disappeared into the centre of the earth I'm sure. So I started to look around with the GPSr constantly changing its mind about where GZ was. Eventually I ended up back in more or less the same place and so I looked for other potential sites, and sure enough there I found one - I could even see the edge of the cache box in it.

I pulled out the container to see a lock on it - "Oh No!" I thought, I'll need a key from another location - fortunately this did not prove to be necessary as the lock was not locked if you know what I mean. I signed the log and took a small coastguard keyring - I can't remember leaving anything there - sorry!

P.S. I'm not sure if the owner realises it but the cache container is itself a bit of a pun - when you find it you'll get :)

No comments:

Post a Comment