Sunday 30 August 2009

Moe's Tavern - GC12QCH

Today we were joined by Uncle Bill and Jessica to form our largest caching crew ever: GeekTeacher, sarahjones65, CathyMay, FirstIrishAngel, Badger as well Ginger Ninja and Jess (no alias yet) to attempt what has been named 'Cache of the Year' by PeteNumbers at NWCaching. We'd been close to it earlier this year, when we did the Wylfa Ruins cache but we'd got back to the car before realising how close this cache was. We'd vowed to return and today was the day. After reading the logs, I was a little concerned about whether I'd be able to get up and down the 2m step at the end, but I didn't let on to the rest of our party of seven, as I knew at least I'd be able to help them get up it.

We made a false start to the walk to the shore, and we had to retrace our steps back to the road before finding the correct footpath. The walk along the cliff tops gave some lovely views of the coastline, but the weather was steadilly getting worse so we didn't linger for long. The entrance to Moe's Tavern could soon be seen as the island came into view. Surprisingly, there were a lot of muggles around for this little out of the way place.

We entered the cave for the final assault, but by now Aunty Sue, ever safety-concious, was having second thoughts about doing it - I of all people told her it would be alright, still wondering about whether I would manage it myself. The cave got narrower as we progressed but never so much that it was a squeeze and we always see the light at the end of the tunnel. Once there we found the hardest part, a two metre climb up but with quite a few places for handholds. This proved to be little problem for everybody except me going last, as we could all help each other get up. I wasn't too concerned that I could get up, it was the getting back down again that worried me a bit, as I'm much too large for anyone to catch!

I told the others to look for the cache whilst deciding what to do. In the end I chose to be brave and go for it heaving myself up using mainly the heather for support. Once out on top I was really pleased that I had done it, but I was still concerned about getting back down again. Forgetting all this for a while, I re-read the cache hint and description to the others who were busy looking amongst the rocks and bracken. It was me who found the cache in the first place I looked - this made it all worthwhile! Sarah did the admin as usual and we swopped TBs. Then we took a careful look around the top of the island and took some photos.

Getting back down the hole into the cave proved to be far less difficult than I expected. None of us took the advice in a previous log of going back down facing the same way we came up - instead we all just reached for a nearby rock a slid down with our backs to the face, it was quite easy really although it did help to have someone at the bottom telling you where to put your feet and hands.

I took some photos in various parts of the cave and then we all headed back out to the beach. By now the rain was starting so we made our way to the ruined building on the beach for some shelter whilst looking at the view. We climbed some steps up a different route back to the top of the cliff and got absolutley soaked on our way back to the cars. It didn't matter, as we were so pleased to have done this one - we even did a little birdwatching along the way.

What a fantastic cache, I can see why people rave over it and yes, if I can do it so can you. However, check the tides carefully and always do it with a mobile phone and a partner just in case of diffculty. The only thing that could improve it would be to see Moe serving Duff beer on top as a reward for making it there!

No comments:

Post a Comment