Friday 14 August 2009

Watch The Birdie - GCKKKN

This was a nice and easy find for RiggyRob, sarahjones65 and myself on our way home from a holiday on Anglesey. I wanted to find out where the RSPB Bird Sanctuary was because of my newfound hobby of birdwatching and photography, so when I spotted this cache, I was made up. We used the GPSr as a SatNav to get us to the right place by road and then went offroad to find the cache.

RiggyRob was in charge (CathyMay stayed in the car) and he soon found the cache location. A quick look round and there it was amongst the rocks - we took it back to the car to sign the log and swap a mini-dinosaur for a coastguard keyring before setting about our sandwiches. What a fantastic spot for lunch - the view across the Conwy estuary up river and towards the castle was excellent. We'd only been on a boat trip on the river here yesterday but it was good to see it from a different side.
Obviously I took a (quite) a few pictures of birds including some curlews, a cormorant, various gulls, a large group of swans and possibly immature black-headed gulls (see picture below). I only realised how long I'd been doing this when I noticed that the tide had come right in and that the sandbanks in my first photos had disappeared!
Just before heading for home, Sarah and I popped into the RSPB centre and had a nosy round for future reference - it looks to be an excellent place and we'll definitely be back to explore further sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment