Monday 24 August 2009

Newborough Forest - GC104FR

After doing 'Peninsula Views' with sarahjones65 this morning and then going back to the caravan for something to eat and a snooze, I decided to tackle this one alone by bike in the early evening. I drove to Newborough and parked in the small car park near the village centre. Then I cycled down to Newborough Warren avoiding paying the £3 toll. Very soon I was cycling along a wide stoney trail in the woods which ran parallel to the shoreline, which I could see intermittently through the trees. I reached GZ without much trouble but spent a good ten minutes looking on the wrong side of the path where my GPSr was pointing. Then I read the clue which said the cache was on the other side of the path and after another five minutes I'd found it. It was really well hidden. perhaps a little too much so as its almost buried. I hope i didn't overdo it when replacing it.

Anyway, satisfied with another successful find, I set off exploring a little further. I carried on down the trail until it reached the dunes above the beach. As the sun was going down. the evening views across the beach towards the mountains on the mainland were absolutely stunning. All the beachgoers had gone home and there were just two couples enjoying their walks with the only audible sounds being the waves crashing on the beach and the wind blowing through the dunes.

I took a different forest trail back to the road (only falling off once when my bike hit a concealed log) and was pleasantly surprised that the road was not as steep as had seemed when I freewheeled down on the way here. What a fabulous place and I'd thoroughly recommend going in the early evening after the crowds have gone home.

No comments:

Post a Comment