Wednesday 5 August 2009

The Behind Bodafon Scuttle TB Hotel by the Sea - GC1TKG8

Oh how I wished I'd read the log on this one before I set off walking! We pulled in off the main road and stopped in the entrance to Bodafon Caravan site thinking 'it can't be in there'. Then we turned round and went down a little side lane before realising it was a dead end at some caravans and we would have to back out all the way. And finally we found another side lane which eventually took us to the start of a footpath.

CathyMay stayed in the car with a suspected 'sprained ankle' (teenager version) whilst sarahjones65, RiggyRob and myself headed off in search of the cache. The footpath was actually along one side of the caravan site behind a hedge and we could hear (but not see) the happy campers having fun as we walked.

The footpath was soon marked by a signpost which veered to the right of an metal gate - into the brambles, nettles and other overgrown forms of thorny vegetation mentioned in previous logs. This is where I regretted having my 3/4 trousers on and wished I was wearing jeans. I got scratched and stung many times on the way to the cache.

Earlier I had asked Robert if he knew what a scuttle was and as the answer was 'no' I told him he should be looking out for some kind of metal bucket. Not surprisingly for a teenager he (and Sarah) walked straight past one without noticing it, leavin me to cough loudly to gain their attention. There was only 1 TB resident in the hotel today and so we took it but unfortunately had run out of things to leave. Took the Cornish Travel Bug.

Postscript:
On returning to the car we found that Cathy had managed to get the key jammed in the door lock. First I tried and then Sarah tried to pull it out, all to no avail. Sarah then sprayed some WD40 on it whilst we both had bad thoughts about only having one key with us and what we would have to do if we couldn't get it out. We were very relieved when about ten minutes later Sarah managed to pull the bent key out of the lock - phew!

No comments:

Post a Comment