Saturday 20 March 2010

Dr Crippin - GC10JNK

This was to be the last of a generally successful day (only 1 DNF out of 5) whilst my family were out elsewhere doing other things. As I turned the corner off the main road, I was faced by Bamfurlong Police station (one of the many new Playmobile-style buildings which are springing up round here) mentioned in another log, and I too nearly drove into the Police yard. Then I had to decide whether it was OK to drive up the wide dirt track road past the station to Crippin Wood. I decided to go for it as the rain had started and I hate geocaching in the rain.

Once at the wood, I parked next to a wall just outside what seemed to be the grounds of the houses there. I now don't think it's private land and it would have been OK to drive further, but I didn't need to. I'd read that a trench had been dug around the perimeter of the wood, but this wasn't a problem for me as someone had put a door across it to span the gap. I did have a little slip in another part of the wood as there are lots of muddy ups and downs and wet bits. The wood was quite thin and bare of vegetation today and the GPSr signal was fine all the way to GZ.
I found some suitable trees quite quickly and then set about looking for the cache. After a few dead ends and dirty hands, I found it and tried to sign the log - oh dear, both pencils in the cache were broken, the biro didn't work and I'd left mine in the car, So I had to take the cache back to the car, sign the log there and then return it to its hiding place. It was only a few hundred metres and this time I went a slightly different route to avoid slipping and getting wet. This is an interesting little place and I imagine it could be quite eerie at night, especially now I know the story behind it.

No comments:

Post a Comment