Saturday 20 March 2010

HIC-Towpath Trail GC14VQ2

I've been meaning to do this one for a while and had just not got round to it. Today, Sarah was out at a Mardi Gras party in Newcastle, Rob was out doing Duke of Edinburgh stuff and Cathy was out with Elaine looking a two kittens we might be adopting soon. So that left me to do what I wanted and this is what I chose to do.I came to this location after a DNF a little further up the towpath, and so I was hoping for success to cheer myself up - I hate DNF's!
I retraced my steps under the bridge near to 'Going Nuts in Bamfurlong' which I'd done earlier and carried on along the opposite side of the canal towards Leigh. The canal is fairly featureless here, so it was nice to hear the birds singing in the nearby trees - I identified one of them as a Great Tit and I'm sure a pheasant scooted across the path in front of me as I approached GZ. I also saw some newly constructed nests in the hawthorne bushes which were more or less at eye level - how clever birds are!

In fact I walked a few metres past the actual location, as I thought I was heading for some power cables which cross the canal here. When I realised I'd gone too far, I had to go back to the only other place it could be. I found the cache easily and signed the log, whilst puzzing about its title. All was made clear as I re-read the description and logs on the walk back to my car.

No comments:

Post a Comment