Sunday 21 March 2010

The Marsh Family First Cache - GC1KNG4

This is another cache that I'd visited earlier in the year but had failed to complete because of the high level of water in the fast flowing stream. I more or less knew where it was, I just couldn't get there. This time I brought my wellies so that I could wade across, and guess what? I didn't need them! The stream was reduced to a trickle and I could easily walk across the stones in just my boots.

The hardest part was actually getting down to the river bed, as the slope was very muddy and slippy. But there were some good tree root 'handles' to use and some bricks to step on to avoid sinking in too deep. When I'd crossed the stream I just went straight for the item mentioned in the hint which I'd remembered from my last visit here. I didn't bother using the GPSr or GCzII on this one and I found the cache right away, signed the log and rehid it. After taking a few pictures I returned to the car very satisfied with a good morning's geocaching in which I bagged six caches in the Westhoughton area.

This area is known as Cunningham Clough and it is looked after by the Wildlife Trust Volunteers. I can recommend a visit if you are in the area, particularly in the summer. The noticeboard suggests that there are Greater Spotted Woodpeckers to see here.

No comments:

Post a Comment