Sunday 21 March 2010

Side Tracked Westhoughton. - GC1BCH9

I was out quite early this morning geocaching in the area where I work and hoping not to be seen. The March mist was still on the ground when I approached Westhoughton so my hopes of being camouflaged were good. I parked on the garage forecourt next to the station and, after a quick look at the GPSr coordinates and a glance at the description, logs and hint using GCzII on my Windows phone, I set off fairly confident that this would be a quick one.

Unfortunately not. There was obviously a train due and two people were waiting for it on the opposite platform. One person never looked up at all but the other fixed his gaze on me intently - it was almost scary. I wandered around on the platform for a bit, taking pictures and pretending I was a nerdy railway enthusiast instead of being a geeky geocacher - his gaze never left me. I did manage to locate the item mentioned in the hint, but I did not dare investigate it because I would have been clearly seen doing something dubious. I decided I would have to wait for the train to come and go, taking away the people from the other platform.
By now a few more had arrived so the train was imminent. I went back up to my car and planned my next cache whilst listening out for the train. About 5 minutes or so later it arrived and so I shot back down to GZ, found the cache, signed the damp log (which is now in a film cannister) and quickly left.

Memo to self: Next time I do a Sidetracked cache in a working station check the train timetables!

No comments:

Post a Comment