Saturday 20 March 2010

DR WHO - THE SONIC SCREWDRIVER - GC11TED

I've been meaning to do this one for ages and just not got round to it. Today, Sarah was out at a Mardi Gras party in Newcastle, Rob was out doing Duke of Edinburgh stuff and Cathy was out with Elaine looking a two kittens we might be adopting soon. So that left me to do what I wanted and this is what I chose to do.

I came to this location from a successful find at 'Going Nuts in Bamfurlong'. I was not so sure about finding this one as it was a puzzle cache. I had worked out some of the answers last year but not finished them all. Naturally, I couldn't find my earlier answers and so I had to work them all out again this morning. I checked and re-checked everything and the location generated seemed sensible, so I decided to go for it. However, puzzles and maths are not my strong point and so I had a niggling thought that I might have done something wrong all the time I was walking to GZ.

When I got there it immediately felt 'right' - this was the sort of place someone would hide a cache and so I suddenly became quite optimistic that I would find it. I re-read some of the logs and the signs were good - this must be the place, all I had to do was look in all the possible places. But there were so many of them! After 10 minutes with no luck I dirfted away from GZ to try to reestablish my GPSr signal and bearings. In doing this I chanced upon a large area of water with a lot of bird noises echoing throughout the open space. 'This must be the edge of the Wigan Flashes' I thought, and a quick look at Memory Map proved it to be the area around Ince Moss and Shale Pit. 'I'll be back here to a spot of birdwatching over Easter' I said to myself, hoping that my spotting scope is repaired and returned to me in time.

Anyway, back to the job in hand - with a refreshed GPSr signal I headed straight back to GZ and started looking again - this time I found the location fairly quickly, with the camouflage being a bit of a giveaway. The container was large and the contents were all damp. It took me a long time to get my green biro to write on the log - I wished I'd brought my felt tip pen with me. This is a great puzzle cache and location - but then I would say that wouldn't I? After all, I found it!

No comments:

Post a Comment