Monday 25 October 2010

Blackleach Country Park - 1 - GC2FZ0A

After the previous three successful finds I decided to pick up the remaining two caches here which I'd missed being released over the last couple of days. As I walked round the south-eastern corner of the reservoir a series of fishing platforms came in to close view.


Today the water was very serene as I looked out from the platforms, but I can imagine in the height of summer it gets very busy with families and children.  And perhaps even the buzz of model boats being whizzed over the water by some men in their later years - this type of activity seems to have died out with the screenagers of today who seem to want instant gratification without any effort. 


The sign at the end of the platform made me think of my dad who sadly died much too early in June 2008. He would have liked it here because he used to build radio-controlled boats and gliders. When he resurrected an old model he'd built of the German warship Scharnhorst about ten years ago, we looked around for somewhere to sail it and ended up going to Moses Gate a little further up the road in Bolton. I can't imagine that he didn't know about this place but maybe it wasn't set up for boating then.
This cache was well hidden and it took me a couple of goes to find even using the hint. I took the wonderful 10-10-10 geocoin (I just couldn't resist) but sorry, I had nothing to leave today.  It's going to be hard to part with this but I think I'll put it in one my own Birdwatch caches sometime soon.

With just one more cache to go I set off on a leisurely stroll back along the eastern bank of the reservoir, taking photos on the way and generally enjoying the peace and quiet.

No comments:

Post a Comment