Thursday 28 October 2010

GoldenPie - GC12W1F

Autumn Glory
I had to take my son Robert for his Driving Test Theory exam in Bolton at 8am today, so knowing I would have a hour or so to kill I decided to do some caching. It was still dark when we set off but we got there in 25 minutes from Tyldesley and found the Test Centre without any problem.

Queen's Park, Bolton

After dropping him I off I used my PDA to find the nearest cache and this was it. I entered the coordinates into my GPSr and set off to find the closest place to park to it which was on Chorley Old Road, more or less in front of some small entrance gates to Queen's Park.

The 'Pie Crust'
There was a lot of activity with men, machinery and vehicles near the gates I used and I thought it might be difficult to find the cache without being stared at. I saw the 'pie crust' very soon after walking into the park and then headed off away from it towards GZ. The items mentioned in the hint soon became evident and then it was only a matter of finding which one - it didn't take me too long and thankfully no-one was watching.

GoldenPie Cache
Once the admin was done I took some photos of a New Zealand Travel Bug called Jule's Quartz that was in the cache. A note asked for it not to be taken because the owner was coming to pick it up, but when I checked the logs that was in August and the TB was still here - maybe they've forgotten. I noted the TB tracking number so that I could log it anyway, but I missed the geocoin in the cache.  Ah well, I might return for it later.

Artistic or What?
I spent another 15 minutes in the park having a look round and taking some artistic pictures - well I think they're artistic, check out my blog and see what you think! It's a great place - the trees were wearing their autumn colours and the birds were singing like mad. As well the usual Magpies, Woodpigeons, Blackbirds and Carrion Crows I spotted some Long-tailed Tits and a Robin. I also think I might have heard the 'shrike' of a Jay, but I didn't actually see it.

Bridging the Gap
Then I headed off across the bridge for the second cache on my list: River Croal -  The Lost Arches. It was quite a surprise for me when I ended up walking past the Driving Test Centre, as I'd done a full circle without realising it. "Well, it will be easy to come back to pick Robert up" I thought.

River Croal in October

No comments:

Post a Comment