Sunday 10 October 2010

What, No Canal ? - GC29YMQ

This was to be the last cache of the weekend for me and what a nice one to end on. I've driven past this area loads of times, but especially when going to Moses Gate Country Park in Bolton for a spot of birdwatching. I'd noticed the entrance last week when I was down there, so I knew I could park right in front of it. They've done a really job of reclaiming this area and turning it into a public amenity, as is witnessed by the many groups of muggles out walking their dogs or taking the kids cycling. Hopefully it will also attract some wildlife too.
The blue locks themselves are interesting - from a distance I thought they might be real ones that have been relocated, but on close inspection I realised they were a piece of artwork. The 'canal' which they span is a drainage ditch and it is full of wetland vegetation such as reeds. I talked to a couple of people who were interested in what I was doing lurking down in the ditch - I just used the excuse of taking photos of the locks and bridges as artistic statements instead of mentioning geocaching.

One guy to whom I spoke thought I was from the Forestry Commission at first and started telling me that they had pollarded the row of trees alongside the drainage ditch too early - they were too young to be cut back so severely and may suffer for it it the future. When I asked him if there was ever a real canal here he said 'No, it was a colliery and all the canals are underground' as is explained in the description for this cache.

An interesting place with a bit of history and a nice walk - thanks for bringing me here as I wouldn't have been otherwise. Now off to Moses Gate for another birdwatching session on a wonderfully sunny Sunday October afternoon - bit of an Indian Summer, I think.
Took the 'Twenty Thousand Mile Sneaker' TB and left 'Routemaster' Bus TB in its place.

No comments:

Post a Comment