Saturday 9 October 2010

Take a Walkden on the Wild Side - GC2G728

Damn - I missed FTF by 1! I did this one today on the way home after cleaning up a few caches in Worsley. At first I thought I must have entered the coordinates wrongly as the GPSr was taking me towards Tyldesley and away from Walkden. But then at Mosley Common the route turned a sharp right and I was heading back towards Walkden. I parked at the end of road which became increasingly narrower and more potholed. A footpath led into the fields and soon I was surrounded by farmland and trees. The golden sun was starting to go down and the temperature was dropping but I was here in a T-shirt in early October in what could easily have been a late summer's evening.

I followed the path round along the barbed wire fence and this led me to the first location. At first I walked past GZ having missed the item mentioned in the hint. But after I backtracked I found it and quickly spotted the cache container lying exposed on the ground. It was a very clever container which I've never seen before, but it had obviously become detached from it's proper location. After reading the contents I replaced as best as I could in what I thought was the right place, and then set off for the second location which wasn't too far away.

 The cows were in the field as mentioned in the amended description and previous log but I walked past them and over the stile into the next field before realising a route through the herd might have been more direct. As it turns out this was probably a better way as it avoided the cows but it was quite by accident that I did this. There was a convenient gap in the fence where people obviously climb through, so I did too and soon I was on the other side of the cows at the top end of the field. I reached GZ and shortly afterwards had found the cache which was also exposed although more discretely.

I signed the log and took the wonderful trackable GeoGem - I can already feel it's power and a touch of Gollum inside me, my precious! Sorry, but I'd didn't have anything to leave today, but I couldn't leave the precious there. After returning the cache to it's hidey-hole and covering it a little better, I set off for home quite satisfied with the afternoon's caching. A great little puzzle series in a nice place I've never been to before, despite living fairly close by.

No comments:

Post a Comment